Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Those Big Nerds @ NRO

The Indispensable Geraghty™ discusses yet another hagiographic description of President-Presumptive Barack Hussein Obama in this post, with the glowing description from a piece in Esquire:
“And in this corner,” she begins.

(Oh, dear Lord, no.)

“The candidate of the people. Skinny young man. Big ears. Funny name. Armed with the experience of humble beginnings. Educated in Ivy League suites. Trained in legislative seats. Toughened in inner-city streets.”

(Okay, this is more like it.)

“Wearing the helmet of good judgment.”

(Uh-oh.)

“The breastplate of hope. Wielding the shield of unity. Carrying the sword of truth. And feet marching to the beat of change!”

Typical pap from the media and Obama-cultists. What cracked me up was Geraghty's follow-on:
Other magical items carried by Obama include the Aura of Inevitability, the Cult of Personality, the Complex of the Messiah, the Cloak of Invisibility for Unsavory Associates and Mentors, the Wand To Declare Unfavorable Issues 'Distractions' and most powerful of all, the Amulet of Journalists' Devotion to a Heroic Narrative, which adds +2d6 to all saving throws against scrutiny.


Pure. Comedy. Gold. Apparently all the coolest NROniks played (still play?) D&D. I wonder if there's a Vorpal Sword of Audacity in the latest 3.5 ruleset...

And if you don't get any of the above, don't worry; it just means you're not yet as big a nerd as I am.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure anyone is as big a nerd as you are, Ben, but I'll give it a shot.

Actually, I was hoping you were more of a Bible nerd. Obama likes to throw in pandering but mangled Biblical metaphors, and this one smacks of Ephesians 6:10-18.

I only played D&D once. But I played the old ASCII Unix game rogue, and several similar early adventure games, plenty of times.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Oh, don't worry. I caught the whole "Armor of God" narrative there too. I'm a HUGE Bible Nerd, Marty. You know that. In fact, my Bible-thumping grade-school's alma mater actually incorporated that very passage (imagine a bunch of little kids singing "Put on the belt of truth / and be safe from Satan's fiery darts" -- kinda creepy, but I turned out okay).

I just wanted to focus on the NRO nerdery rather than beating the dead horse of the Barack Hussein Obama campaign's constant attempts to impose a theocracy. Not that the MSM would let anyone in on that little tidbit.

Yeah, I played rogue. And nethack, which may very well be the longest-running continuously-updated game in the history of computers.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home