Friday, June 06, 2008

Another Milestone of Thirty!

So almost exactly five months ago, I commented upon a milestone in my life involving the number 30. Well, 30 must be my lucky number, as today I've hit another milestone: Over the last year, I have finally reached my goal and lost (as of this morning) 30 lbs! That's right, the Only Red Shirt was formerly something of a porker, but now I'm down below even my svelte college (and subsequent wedding) weight.

I'll probably go a few more lbs. I'm going out on a field exercise for work, which means a per diem, which means eating rich food every night. So I'll need a bit of a buffer. But still, this marks the first time since college, and only the second time of my adult life, that I've been within "ideal weight" ranges by any reckoning. And since it took me a full year and an actual lifestyle change (eating smarter and getting some light exercise routinely), I can probably keep it off. And now I don't feel like such a fat white lump around my hot wife.

Next stop: the Chinese Buffet!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Congrats, Ben. And just how much of that weight has come off in the last few days since the AC broke?

You've inspired me. I've been battling ratcheting weight for years, despite the fairly high amount of exercise I do. Metabolism does slow as you get older. It used to be that I could eat whatever I wanted and if my weight went up, I could get a little exercise and it would go back down. But I've now been exercising almost daily for 20 years, and every year I have to either do more exercise or watch my diet more closely, and I still ratchet up a bit every year. I've got to get on more of a regimen. I feel so sullied for having eaten one of Karen's doughnuts. No more!

But I won't give up beer!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Ben!

Did you follow any specific plan, or just eat more sensibly?

Personally, I'm taking the first step myself: I've been putting skim milk in my coffee, rather than mayonnaise.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Thanks, Chris. I lost a little weight reading your comment. It came out my nose!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

No specific diet plan, although I did start eating a hearty-but-healthy breakfast (big bowl of oatmeal-cum-fat-free-yogurt, for example, or a high-fiber, low-sugar cereal) and usually skipping or having a very small lunch (e.g., an orange and a banana). I refuse to eat like a bird, though, so dinner has always been whatever floats my boat. Constant feedback helped, too, so I would weigh myself several times a week. Also, not having much of a budget for eating out helps; like I said, I set myself back about 5 lbs just from going out to the field and eating on a per diem.

Marty, for an old fart, you're damn skinny -- particularly considering that you don't seem to have a small frame like, say, my office mate (the old male one, not the young female one). So quit yer belly-gazing and grab another donut.

And actually, I've been down in freezerland since the AC broke doing integration testing, so I can't blame it on the heatwave.

Chris: don't do anything drastic! They make light mayo too, you know...

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben: People tell me I'm skinny. But when I tell them how much I weigh, they're surprised. 195 on my frame. It's heavier than I should be. I hide it well.

I mostly need to cut down on sugar. Probably the biggest culprit.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I did that years ago: splenda in my coffee and diet sodas only. Can't stand sugary sodas any more, so that's working pretty well.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to cut out sweets completely because I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I don't really drink soda, and when I make my own coffee, I drink it black. I think my biggest problem areas with sweets are those that are married up with fats, like donuts, ice cream, and chocolate.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home