Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Obama Is The Death of Funny

Before the election, or more importantly, before the Age of Obama, it was very easy to satirize the empty suit that was running for president on the Democratic ticket. How easy? Even I could manage it! There was so much fodder: his absurd lack of experience, his absurd radical ties, his absurdly leftward leanings... well, you get the picture: he was an absurd man.

But now he's the President-Elect of this country. With Slow Joe Biden as the Vice President-Elect. With Hillary "My main qualification was being the wife of a crappy president" Clinton as Secretary of State. Is it still an absurd situation? Yes. But it's gone from comically absurd to gravely absurd, and I'm not sure what it means for the eventual fate of this country.

My point is this: what was once funny-because-it-could-never happen is now terribly not-funny-because-it-did-happen. Seriously. I've been sitting here, trying to rekindle the old Obama-satire magic, and I draw a blank. Now, I think, I understand the media and talk-show-host reluctance to poke fun, however lightly, at their Anointed One. In their minds, well before the election, his ascension was already a reality. QED, they were unable to make fun of him due to the gravity of the situation. Now that the virtual reality in their minds has reified into The Office Of The President-Elect, I am in the same boat, albeit for different reasons.

Wait a second... Office Of The President Elect... absurd presumption that such a thing exists or has any power... hmmm... maybe there's something there... stay tuned...

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had thought I could remain circumspect through most most of the machinations of fate. But now it's more of a shell-shocked feeling. Except I'm really not shocked. I feel more like I've been dropped into an alternate reality.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and that was me above. Posting from the other reality, where Obama is the President-Elect. Now I'm back in the normal world. I think.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow, am I the one who really rekindled the political erectness of this blog? It has been kind of limp since October 1.

Ben, I do not mean to be too hard on you for resting for so long, and I do not want to shove it in your face, but it is about time.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Well, this has never been an exclusively political blog. So when I post about the World of Warcraft or deep fried bacon, you all have to suffer through it.

Now I have to compete with you to prevent you from having too many posts in a row. Which was sorta the point, I guess.

p.s. how'd you change the date of your post? I've been trying to do that for years...

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He got back from Mongolia. Didn't you hear the black helicopter fly over?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

No comment on the 3 penis jokes in a row?

Go to the page where you write the entry and below the text box is a minimized menu that reads "post options". Click on that and it opens something below the text box that allows you to change the date and the time of the post.

Duh

7:07 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I would have responded sooner, but I was getting my fudge packed (you know, to sell) for the Sausage Festival (third annual!)

Penis.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is getting way too disturbingly bromantic for me. I will now retreat to the safe confines of Mazurland, where I can snuggle up to Hank and feel a little less icky.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Stay tuned for my wisdom gained in Mongolia post (coming soon).

10:22 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

By that, I mean speaking of gross stuff as has begun in the comments section of this post.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's not technically president-elect until the electoral college votes on 12/15. Which makes his "office" that much more absurd.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home