Wednesday, December 10, 2008

If We All Had Grace Like This...

The primary living "victim" of the F-18 crash in southern California (victim by way of having his wife, two children, and mother-in-law perish because of the crash), a man named Don Yun Yoon, has already forgiven the pilot and, from the article,
"I pray for him not to suffer for this action," Yoon said at a news conference, according to The Los Angeles Times. "I know he's one of our treasures for our country."
It came as no surprise to me when I read that blurb that Mr. Yoon is a Christian, and certainly, this is just about the greatest witness to the grace of Jesus Christ that I have observed in a very long time. This is particularly underscored by the fact that I have spent the last two weeks during my daily readings on the book of Job. Indeed, while Job, a righteous man who lost his family, his wealth, his living, and his health, most notably never curses God, he certainly spends a great deal of time questioning Him, and even doubting Him. But the whole point of the book is to demonstrate not God's caprice, but the way in which God may be glorified by both the success and the suffering of even His most faithful servants.

If Mr. Yoon can have the grace to forgive, and not even blame the pilot for this tragedy, then few of us can ever find cause to resent our fellow man. God bless you, Mr. Yoon, and may His Spirit grant you comfort and peace in the coming days. Amen.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the blogs I catch up on now and then expressed a very similar sentiment: http://www.21stcenturypaladin.com/2008/12/10/love-revealed-in-lifechanging-plane-accident/

1:54 PM  
Blogger Tre Pryor said...

Yes and yes. Examples like this may not encourage all believers but when I see this kind of Christian behavior modeled so nobly, I can't help but step my game up as well.

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home