Thursday, April 10, 2008

The More You Know

Despite having a two-year-old well-progressed into the vaccination calendar, I have largely let the recent "antivaccination" "movement" fall under my radar -- that is, until very recently. The general, and completely unsupported, claim is that there is a link between vaccination and autism -- typically explained by the "toxic" ingredients that serve as preservatives, binding agents, antibacterials, etc., in the vaccines. Originally, Thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, was blamed as the culprit -- until it was removed in 2001 and autism continued unabated in the population.

Well, recently, it came more to my attention, when I found out that a friend who had recently had a kid was considering not getting all the vaccinations -- at the urging of his wife, who absorbs daytime TV like a sponge, where this movement is unfortunately attracting a considerable audience.

Anywho, I could rant and rant and rant about the mortally dangerous stupidity of this so-called "movement", using terms like "herd immunity" and "diagnostic broadening and substitution", and concepts like "correlation does not equal causation" or "the plural of anecdote is not data" or "the dose makes the poison", and I could even point out that autism incidence only began to rise when it became its own category of diagnosis for federal funding purposes. I could, but I won't, because it'll just make me angry and upset, and I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. So instead, I'll just link to this article here speaking out against the idiocy of antivaccination advocacy at the execrable Huffington Post, and another one, pointing out the sheer stupidity that occurs when one has Jenny "Yeah, I Remember Seeing Naked Pictures Of Her Back When I Was In College" McCarthy as a primary spokes-mom.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny McCarthy is a little hard to take seriously.

It's sort of like if her main squeeze, Jim Carrey, was the spokesman for global warming.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cell phones cause cancer!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

For you and me (and Marty, maybe? I'm not so sure...), Chris, Jenny McCarthy is hard to take seriously. For stay-at-home or single moms, who are likely making important decisions about vaccination of their small children, not so much. These are (not to denigrate the whole sex, only the naive and easily-influenced subset) the women who look to charlatans like Dr. Phil for life-guidance and suckle at the (dry, withered) teat of Oprah and Ellen Degeneres for wisdon. Jenny McCarthy has the additional "credibility" of being an ostensibly dedicated, full-time, post-career "Mom" on top of that. AND she's getting on to the above-mentioned soapboxes to spout her nonsense!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read the Oprah/Degeneres comment. You're spinning comment comedy gold.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Let me get you a coffee while I write this next comment... and a camera.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home