Thursday, March 13, 2008

On My Way To The Courthouse Now...

"Bull Dog Pundit" over at the Ankle-biting Pundits enumerates the reasons why he has already switched his party affiliation in his (and my) home state of Pennsylvania (it's a closed primary here) so as to vote for Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary. Some highlights:
1. If Hillary Clinton wins the Pennsylvania primary then it is almost certain that she and Obama will continue their fight for the nomination until the August convention.
and
4. In the event that Hillary does end up winning the nomination because of the superdelegates, the fracture in their party coming out of that convention (even if Obama takes the #2 slot, which I don’t think will happen), will make divide we witnessed in the GOP primary seem minor.
Read the whole thing. I know at least a few of my readers live here in PA too. Maybe I'm not 100% convinced, but with the deadline approaching (anyone know what it is? BDP indicates that it's "soon", but doesn't say when), it's given me a LOT to think about.

Update: The Indispensable Geraghty™ has done some of the leg-work for me: I have until March 24 to switch registration. On the other hand, he also indicates that Hillary's lead is already quite impressive, on the order of 14-19%, so it may not make much of a difference.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way I look at it is:

1) The GOP nominee has been determined.
2) You're being asked the question "Who would you like to see as the Democratic nominee?", or maybe even "Who would you like to see as President from these Democratic candidates?"
3) You're playing by the rules, as opposed to someone that's voting who may be a felon, or a multiple-voter, or an illegal alien, or deceased.

Do what you need to do in good conscience.

Oh... and Go Rockets!!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell, I switched parties down here...of course, with an open primary, it took zero effort. (I'm afraid I can't say the same for our caucus process, but that's a horse of a different color.)

BTW, you consider PA your "home state" now?! For shame, fellow Southerner...

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget who said it. One of the radio pundits. He was talking to a guy in an open primary state who was planning on doing some "strategic voting". The pundit agreed with the guy's thought processes, but said "In the end, I'm just not sure I could make myself pull the level for Hillary." Some kind of physical aversion! I live in PA and I think I could vote for Hillary, in the strategic way discussed. What I'm not sure I could do is go through the process of actually switching parties. I mean, I can choose or not to say whom I voted for. But what if I died in a car wreck on the way home and they found my voter registration card in my wallet? My wife might bury me in an unmarked grave! If I did switch parties, I think I'd have to drive to the courthouse immediately after voting to change it back!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the henchmen of the Antichrist give you the option of worshiping 666 and taking the mark, or dying, will you "strategically vote" to do so to avoid beheading even if you do not mean it? Either you name yourself with 777 or you label yourself with 666. Pachyderm or Jack Ass.

Also, I second JD's comment. For Shame, Baa Taa.

ST

10:24 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Still thinkin' about it. And considering that, barring an offer to work for my current salary teaching at my old highschool (Go Rockets!), I plan to live here for a very long time, so yeah, it's my home state. Suck it, redneck hillbillies.

And Sam -- when it comes time to be martyred for not taking that Mark, will you be able to say you used Every Means Possible to defy the coming of said Antichrist?

I should say that my motivation is NOT one of defeatism -- the whole "Republicans will probably lose, so I'd rather have Hillary as president over Obama" logic. Rather, I want to do everything in my power to ensure McCain gets elected (ok, there IS a bit of defeatism there, but at least it ain't Rudy or Romney). Prolonging the Dem struggle seeks to do just that. What are you doing?

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home