Friday, April 20, 2007

All You Need To Know

This is the most comprehensive, descriptive, illuminating article/review/interview/what have you regarding Fred Thompson that I have read to date. Key snippets:
Thompson seems to recognize that he wins the guy-I'd-want-to-get-a-beer-with primary the moment he announces. He comes across as a regular guy--"folksy" will be the political cliché that attaches to his candidacy--and punctuates explanations of his positions with the kind of off-the-cuff homespun witticisms that Dan Rather spent a career trying to come up with.


And this one, which pacifies me greatly:
* In the days since Thompson allowed that he was thinking about running for president, his views on abortion have come under scrutiny. Thompson finds the news reports from his first run for Senate perplexing.

"I have read these accounts and tried to think back 13 years ago as to what may have given rise to them. Although I don't remember it, I must have said something to someone as I was getting my campaign started that led to a story. Apparently, another story was based upon that story, and then another was based upon that, concluding I was pro-choice."

But, he adds: "I was interviewed and rated pro-life by the National Right to Life folks in 1994, and I had a 100 percent voting record on abortion issues while in the Senate."

Darla St. Martin, associate executive director of National Right to Life, supports Thompson on those claims. She traveled to Tennessee in 1994 to meet with him. "I interviewed him and on all of the questions I asked him, he opposed abortion," she told the American Spectator's Philip Klein.

Thompson says he thinks Roe v. Wade is bad law and should be overturned, but he says he does not support a Human Life Amendment.


Do yourself a huge favor and go read the whole thing right now. Just don't fall in love with Mr. Thompson, because I already did, and you can't have him! I mean that in a manly, viking sort of way, though.

UPDATE: I now have a "Fred Dalton Thompson" label! It only seemed the most reasonable thing to do, considering...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, I happen to know what Scotch he drinks, and it's older than you, so you can't afford it (If it was older than me, *I* couldn't afford it!)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Mirtika said...

Okay, how about a small wee crush, then? :)

Mir

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mir, you'll have to pop over to Mazurland, where the booze (and talk thereon) flows a little more freely. Cheers!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Dang, Marty! Is that blog-pimping a direct result of my own recent blog-pimping over at Mazurland?

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, if I was just blog pimping, I would've mentioned our full collection of booze related posts on my very first comment.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home