Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Man Comes Around

Wow. I was fully prepared to completely dismiss this article upon reading the title, even though it was by one of my favorite writers, Jonah Goldberg. But I have to admit, it has given me considerable grist on which to chew. Should I throw my support to McCain despite my mistrust and gut-feeling misgivings about the man? The one-two punch of pointing out McCain's actual voting record and hawkishness, and lumping Giuliani in with Clinton, had quite an impact on me. Perhaps I should reconsider.

And frankly, even though I don't like it, McCain-Feingold doesn't keep me up at night. I really think it's only blogging-for-a-living pundits and Beltway insiders that really care about that stuff, enough to change their votes.

Key paragraph, for me:

McCain's been a consistent pro-lifer (which distinguishes him from pretty much everyone else in the race so far). Until recently, Giuliani argued passionately for partial-birth abortion as a constitutional right. McCain has voted to confirm every conservative Supreme Court nominee, including Robert Bork. He voted "guilty" in Bill Clinton's impeachment trial. He campaigned for George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004, even after Bush beat him. Giuliani says he was ideologically simpatico with Clinton, and he endorsed Democrat Mario Cuomo for governor of New York.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. very good article. Kinda mad me feel bad for McCain not doing better in the polls.

Guiliani has a bigger "sleeze" and "liberal" element to him. McCain has the "crazy" and "unpredictable" part to him. But, especially after reading the article, I'd vote for McCain over Rudy. Rudy is just too liberal on almost every issue.

I still hope Thompson enters, and that he has the substance and stamina I dream he has.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

I'm with you there, Chris. Especially after Rudy's stance on partial birth abortion became widely known, I cannot and will not vote for the man under any circumstances -- even to prevent a President Hillary Clinton. I won't vote for Hillary either, mind you, but still...

And as for Fred, I'm with you again. I'm thus far convinced he has the substance, but I just hope today's announcement of his remitted (is that the proper term?) cancer doesn't indicate a lack of stamina.

In other news, if that IS the right word, can we say that conservatives might have to choose between "Mitt" and "Remitt"?

One ticket to Hell, please.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really believe the gun forum I hang out at (AR15.com) has a good pulse on middle America. From there, and a few other sites, I get the REAL sense that a *lot* of Republicans will be sitting at home in 2008 if they believe a RINO got nominated, Hillary be damned.

So the options are 1)nominate a conservative 2)nominate a soft-RINO who can convince enough people he's conservative (?Romney) 3)nominate a republican who's liberal enough to draw Dem votes (Rudy) 4) Democratic president.

I just heard the Thompson news which is disheartening.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Thompson announced his cancer as a prelude to joining the race. After all, he's known he's had it for a while, it's supposedly in remission. So why announce that unless he wants in the race. Get the news out early, let it be forgotten, then join.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Marty,

I assume you're reading my posts in order, bottom-up? You may feel a bit redundant after reading the next one, but yeah, I agree.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home