Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Zombiegeddon and the Minor Prophets

I too have been working my way through the Minor Prophets one by one in one stretch. I assume that since I told mom about this a while back, she let it slip to my little brother, and he is emulating me, which is great. I am about half way through Malachi, and then I have to go back and hit Amos. After that , I will have read and studied them all.

Last month, another blog gave an update on the status of preparation for the coming Zombiegeddon. One of my guilty pleasures just so happens to be Zombie stories, so I enjoyed that post.

God has promised that He will not destroy the world by flood again, but what about a zombie apocalypse? I submit for your consideration Zechariah 14:12-13:

12 And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths. 13 On that day they will be terrified, stricken by the LORD with great panic. They will fight their neighbors hand to hand.

I do my daily reading from the New Living Translation. I keep Biblegateway.com on hand to cross check certain passages which seem a little out there, but for the most part it is all good. To be fair, the NLT is the only one that uses anything synonymous to 'walking corpses'. Even the NLT cross reference to Leviticus 26:16 does not mention walking corpses.

It could just be referring to some kind of rage inducing Ebola and necrotizing fasciitis hybrid, and it really sounds like what happened near the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I like to think that one day we will get a good old fashioned zombie shoot out.

12 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

1) Mom never mentioned anything. Sorry. My Bible reading schedule is very random and (I sincerely believe) led by the Holy Spirit. This is my second trip thru the minor prophets.

2) You're totally gay for using the NLT. Next you'll be telling me you've been elevated as a bishop in the Episcopalian church or something. Real mean use the NASB. Cutting-edge real men use the ESV. Being awesome, I use both (Women use the NIV).

3) Have you seen Zombieland? You would really like it, if you can get over Woody Harrelson as an actor (his character is pretty awesome).

4) Matthew 27:52-53: "52The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;

53and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many. "

We've already had our zombie apocalypse.

5) In defense of your hope for a zombie uprising based on the Zechariah passage, it seems like the hand-to-hand fighting occurs AFTER the body-rotting, so there you go. If it were ebola or necrotizing fascitis, you'd be too dead to fight. And the real translations of the Bible seem to back up the notion of hand-to-hand fighting, too.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Sam, I don't know how you can stand him.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Everybody's got their coping method. In my brother's case, it involves The Brain, or The Turtle, or the wiping of the scrotum on the offender's (my) doorknob. In other people's cases, it apparently involves running around in drag.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I took the hand to hand fighting to be a return to the most basic of weapons or tools due to the diminished brain capacity of the zombies.
The Ebola/NF was an alternative hypothesis to neo-Romero zombification, not a complimentary feature. E/NF would involve cessation of all activity. NRZ would involove reanimation after apparent death.
I want to see Zombieland, but I do not go to theaters, so I am waiting on Netflix to release it.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

My point 5 was in support of your thesis. Wasn't trying to poke holes in anything there.

I didn't pay for Zombieland. Wanna know how? Step 1: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/complete?os=win

That should download a program called "utorrent.exe". Run that program. Then click this link:

http://dl.btjunkie.org/torrent/Zombieland-2009-R5-DVDRip-XviD-MAX/43583c5e8f937007b2f48d9f68cf804fffbdbe322b6b/download.torrent

Select "open with utorrent", then click okay as many times as necessary. Then in a couple hours, you'll have the entire dvd-quality movie. Welcome to movie piracy!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Okay, embedded links to make it even easier: step 1

step 2

When it reaches 100%, just right click and "open containing folder"; watch and enjoy.

That method, by the way, is how Yoanna and I watch TV now. I have my desktop computer hooked up via hi-def cable to our TV, and we watch any movie/TV show we want. Most popular films download faster than real-time (that is, it takes a 2-hour movie less than 2 hours to download).

6:06 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

That is not ethical.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Why?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Have you seen the price of weed these days? How do you expect Woody to pay for his pound per day without revenues from each and every copy of the movie that is viewed?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

By the way, for those of you still reading this string of comments who are zombie movie fans, I recently saw a comical, yet well written low budget movie ala Shawn of the Dead called Hide and Creep, which was on the watch instantly section of Netflix.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

As a Christian, it is my duty to give him "tough love" and deprive him of the money to buy substances that cause him such harm.

If that BS argument don't work, how about "It's an act of civil disobedience".

Anywho, click the links and enjoy the film.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

That actually kinda makes sense.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home