Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Einstein Scooped By God

In my current daily scripture readings, I'm going through the minor prophets (which I've always felt are good to do all at once, sort of like pulling off a band-aid -- I kid, I kid). Anywho, I finished up Habakkuk this morning, and came across this little gem:
The sun and moon stood still in their place
at the light of your arrows as they sped,
at the flash of your glittering spear.
Habakkuk 3:11 (ESV)
The "your" in this case, of course, is God. Anywho, of what does that sound like a description to you? Light... speeding. Physical objects, relative to the speeding of said light... standing still. Hmmm... did God, through His prophet Habakkuk (which, incidentally, I will name my fourth male child, should I have one) give us an inkling about Special Relativity, which implies, inter alia, that when an object approaches the speed of light, time "slows down" for that object relative to the non-moving object, such that, ultimately, time would stand still for the speeding object, relative to the non-moving objects?

Okay, I'm probably stretching things, and I've taken the single verse WAY out of context, but still, it's a fun thought.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Ben, everything is covered in the Bible if you know where to look.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

See the above posting.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home