Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Another intellectual exercise

So Bush went to Iraq today. Good for him, and I mean that sincerely. That got me thinking about how many other American politicians had been to Iraq, both before the war and after, which then got me imagining what it would be like for certain politicians if they were somehow captured by terrorists while in Iraq.

So the exercise is this: take a politician, and imagine his reaction when captured by terrorists inside Iraq.

I'm thinking in particular of somebody like Washington state politician "Baghdad Jim" McDermott, or perhaps even Teddy Kennedy (not that I'd ever expect the latter to go over there). I just can't help but think that, under duress, they wouldn't hesitate to point out that they were "on their side", and quickly point out all the evidence that would prove such a statement.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect many a hawk would likewise say anything to preserve their lives; the only difference being that they would not have the cold, hard facts to back up their case that they were "on the side" of the terrorists.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about politicians, but I'd love to see Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore, and the like on a 'captured Westerner' video.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Jimmy Carter would look goo kneeling, in an orange jumpsuit.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant "look good"

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how I forgot Cindy Sheehan and Michael Berg. They'd probably be great cell mates. I'm in Buffalo right now. Sheehan was at Kleinhans, I guess last night. The newspaper story said she was 4 hours late! 500 people waited that long for her. And what did she have to say? She spoke for 15 whole minutes and said AMerica is a fascist state. She doesn't expect it to get much better even if the Democrats gain power this fall because they are "part of the system". The whole system has to change.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

You think a person like her even has a valid replacement model in mind? Perhaps a hippie commune tribal council of "elders" ruling the country by proclamation? Well, we're at least 4/9 of the way there with the Supreme Court and pretty much the entirety of the 9th Circuit

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home